Sometimes we just cannot catch a break. I will try to keep this as short as possible. I went down to the basement about 10pm Thursday night. I was going to try to find some paper and make a Birthday card for a friend's little boy who's party was Saturday. As I walked down the stairs, I noticed a really bad smell. I assumed maybe someone had forgotten to flush the toilet. But..... that was not the case. Instead, when I turned on the lights, I found the west half the the basement was wet. Nope, not nice clean water. No that would be easy to fix. Instead, I found that every toilet flush, every load of laundry, every load of dishes and every bath/shower we had had for who knows how many days, was in my basement floor. YUCK!!! All of this (sewer) had backed up and come out through the toilet and the tub in the basement. Talk about one unhappy lady.
I am certainly not known for my calm, relaxed, layed-back personality. No, I am a little bit of a high strung Type A person (thanks Dad). So needless to say, I freaked a little. Joe was laughing (at me), and me, well I was crying. I had to work in Harrison on Friday, so that left him with the plumber and Service Master to clean it all up.
I came home Friday to a garage full of items covered in sewage, waiting for the insurance adjuster to come. We have to wait on the adjuster, then we will start throwing things out. So much of the stuff is unable to be cleaned. The hardest part is that most of it is baby things. I was really having a hard time parting with Lauren's crib. I wanted to hold on to it so that maybe someday, I will have a gran baby to put in it. There are some items that just cannot be replaced. One-of-a-kind things (sorry Mom). Some stuff, just memories.
Parts of the walls have been removed, the carpet has been pulled out, and the bathroom has been completely gutted. Now my fairly organized basement is a TOTAL DISASTER!
I took a few pics, but those will have to wait (no I didn't photograph the nasty stuff). The rest of the weekend was nice. Lauren and I went to the BD party. We had friends out Sat. night. And I spent some time in the pool today. As I have been told, "That's Life Amy".
Hope you all had a great weekend.




1 comment:
OMG. That's horrible! That makes my lightening strike look itty bitty! I'm so sorry. I would have been just like you...freaking out. That same thing happened to a friend of mine once. I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry. I hope it all gets cleaned up real soon!
Post a Comment